On behalf of the California Collaborative for Climate Change Solutions (C4S), formed in 2018 by the University of California Office of the President in partnership with Caltech, Stanford, and the California State University system, we are organizing a public-private partnered report on Bending the Curve: Overarching Solutions for a Rapidly Warming California. Towards this goal, a brainstorming summit is being organized at the University of California, San Diego, on November 18th.
The starting point of our effort is a portfolio of 55+ solutions that were proposed by C4S affiliates in 2018. That call was restricted solely to academics. This time around, we are opening the discussions to partners from the private sector and the state government. We have enlisted the enthusiastic support for participation from various private sector leaders alongside our academic participants. See below for list of attendees.
If you have ideas for submission of solutions or idea for potential partners from the private sector or foundations, or if you have any questions please email C4S Event Coordination Team: Paula Ezcurra (email@example.com), Lifang Chiang (Lifang.firstname.lastname@example.org), and V. Ramanathan (email@example.com).
Looking for a stimulating brainstorming session at La Jolla
Travel and Lodging Information
What to Expect
Doors will open at 8:15am, opening remarks will start promptly at 8:55am. Lunch will be offered at noon, with coffee and tea available from 12 onwards. If you’re looking for a place to have a small breakfast and coffee or tea before the event, we suggest:
- Starbucks: Conveniently located at the Price Center, opens at 7am
- Audrey’s Café: Located in the Iconic Geisel Library, turn right at the entrance and go down the hall, opens at 8am
- Art of Espresso: Campus coffee cart, located next to Mandeville Auditorium, opens at 7am
We are striving for a minimal waste event, please help by bringing your own re-fillable water bottle and any note-taking materials you may want to have.
Arriving to UC San Diego
- Airport: San Diego International Airport. If flying to San Diego, please note that UC San Diego is approximately 12.5 miles north of the San Diego International Airport.
- Train: Pacific Surfliner or Coaster – The closest stop is Solana Beach, CA (SOL) (10 miles from campus).
- Taxi or Rideshare: Price Center is a short walk from the corner of Myers Dr. and Rupertus Ln. This would be the best place for drop-off and pick-up.
- Parking: The closest visitor parking is in the Gilman parking structure (3100 Gilman Dr.) All visitors must purchase a parking pass from one of the machines and follow all instructions for display.
Arriving to the Price Center
- Walking to Price Center: Google Map Instructions
From the Gilman parking structure, walk west on Gilman Dr. and go north (turn right) on Myers Dr. Continue past the end of the street and through the pedestrian walkway until you reach the steps at the Price Center building. Take the stairs to the second floor and follow signs to the meeting room (for elevator, enter the building to the right of the base of the stairs).
- Price Center Ballroom East: Located on the second floor of the Price Center Complex second. See attached Price Center Map for the floor plan to help find the Ballroom.
If you have any trouble with parking, finding the Price Center, or Locating the East Ballroom, please feel free to reach out to the C4S Support Team the morning of the event:
Paula Ezcurra, Program Coordinator, 619-504-5429
Lifang Chiang, Summit Planning Committee Member, (510) 684-6172, texting preferred
Opening Plenary Livecast can be viewed at this link:
Joining Noon Working Group Sessions via Zoom
Please make sure you download Zoom on your computer, then select a session from the three below:
Session I Climate: Societal Transformation, Governance, and Adaptation
Session II: Technology Measures
Session III: Atmospheric Carbon Extraction
Snapshot of scalable solutions that will accelerate
California’s climate mitigation actions
Table summarizing all Solutions. Includes title, author, affiliating institution, topic area, and pages where the full solution can be found in the document below.
Includes the full version of 55 climate solutions proposals listed in the table above under six overarching categories: science, societal transformation, technology – super pollutants mitigation, technology – atmospheric carbon extraction, and adaptation – building resilience.
V. Ram Ramanathan
C4S Co-Chair and Frieman Presidential Chair in Climate Sustainability at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego
C4S Co-Chair and Director of the John Muir Institute of the Environment at UC Davis
Associate Professor of Political Science and Founding Director of the Center on Global Justice, UC San Diego
Associate Chancellor at UC Irvine and Co-Chair of the UC’s Global Climate Leadership council
Co-Founder & Director, DCI Investments and Owner of Stone Edge Farms
C4S Principle Academic Coordinator, and Research Strategist and Portfolio Manager at the UC Office of the President
C4S Research Associate
Societal Transformation Group and Summit Event Support